Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What this blog is all about

So, this is only one in a line of MANY failed blogs, so just a warning. We'll see how it goes.

This blog has a simple concept. I've kept a diary since I was 10 years old and it charts my fairly normal development from closed off child to angst-ridden teenager to adult, whatever that means. This blog will be random excerpts from those diaries. I will admit that in a culture of oversharers, where people's privacy is hardly valued anymore, where people post Facebook statuses about abnormal pap smears and Twitters entries about their weird sexual attraction to Walter Matthau, exposing my own personal diary is hardy unique at all. And while it will conform to our culture well, it could hardly be called Avant-Garde literature.

But still, hopefully, it will be somewhat interesting for at least 3 reasons:

1. I'm an interesting person.

2. I'm interested in exploring the relationship between diarying (a dying art--although you can hardly call my chicken scratch art) and blogging (a blossoming art). I think the main difference is that a diary is intended to be unread by others and thus should be more honest or at least less self-critical whereas blogging is done almost solely to be read by others, to expose some aspect of one's identity, and thus is inherently self-critical. Therefore, I'm sure there will be heavy editing in terms of which entries I choose, what I want to hide, how far I can push myself to expose things that embarrass me. I'm a good writer, but like any average girl, my entries are sometimes literally, "OMG, I just saw the cutest boy EVER!!!!!!!!!" So I will, I guess, try to show that side of myself. In addition to excerpts from my diary, I might occasionally post my thoughts on the ideas of diarying, blogging, and writing in general.

3. I don't have a 3, but I just hate even numbers so there you go.


So, here's how this will work. The entries will be in no particular older, but will be categorized by time period in my life (e.g. teenager), specific age, date, location, theme, and whatever else seems important. Also, for now I will probably refer to the people I talk about (with some random exception) by their first initial so as to avoid dragging them into my overexposure. I will occasionally provide background or explanation, but try to avoid justifying my personality or analyzing my entries. I just want them to stand alone as they are. But because I love analyzing everything, I will probably fail in this regard. I don't know who will read this, but if you are reading, I hope you find it interesting, funny, or you know, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment